The The Hunter College Reading/Writing Center is a comprehensive service for the entire college community, offering tutoring and computer-assisted instruction to students and technical support and development to faculty and staff.
The Reading/Writing Center offers tutorial assistance, free of charge, to all registered students of the college. Tutors are undergraduate and graduate students from a variety of majors, trained to help you develop your reading and writing skills. The Center will not interpret texts for you, nor will we write, type, or correct papers. Tutors will help you develop a reading-writing process you can use to improve your skills and negotiate the requirements of academic reading and writing.
As a student, you may use the Center in several ways:
- Register for a regular appointment to meet with a tutor for an hour, once a week throughout the whole semester. In some cases, you will be paired with another student who is enrolled in the same course.
- Drop in to work with a tutor during scheduled drop-in hours when tutors are available to meet with you on a first-come, first-served basis. See schedule below for drop-in times.
- Attend workshops on various aspects of critical reading and writing. Workshop topics and schedules are posted periodically throughout each semester.
- Use computer terminals in the Center with access to CUNY Plus and to the Reading/Writing Center web page at http://rwc.hunter.cuny.edu where you can directly access Reading/Writing Center handouts, view current workshop schedules, and link to a variety of writing resources on the Internet.
- Use the Center's library of books during the hours the Center is open. We do not lend books; however, we have an extensive file of handouts which are available for you to take away.
You will learn the most if you use the Center at each stage of your writing process. Work with a tutor to clarify an assignment, to generate material, to review a draft for organization and development, and to learn how to proofread.
The Reading/Writing Center is located in Room 416, Thomas Hunter Building. Our tutoring schedule is as follows: